[LAU] MIDI note input by rhythm?

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Mon Jan 14 09:13:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

"Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:45:49 +0100, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> I believe Rosegarden has an option to change the note timings etc to match a
>> rhythm track? I think you record the rhythm track by pressing a  key on your
>> keyboard to indicate beat changes, then RG can adjust the  tempo and such on
>> the other track to match.
>>  Haven't tried it myself, though.
>
> I don't know if Rosegarden has got such an option, maybe. Or does Rosegarden
> provide an option to press a note or notes on a MIDI keyboard +  to e.g. push
> the space bar (as often as needed). The space bar then would  cause the
> sequencer to play and record with each step, for a defined time,  1/4, 1/8 etc.?

What I'm looking for is actually a way not to give notes a defined
time. I want to be able to simulate a "live" playing scenario, when each
note is going to have durations that certainly are not going to be exact
time durations (1/4, 1/2, etc.), but I lack the keyboard abilities to
input a moderately complex piece this way, hence my search for a
two-step solution, where first I enter the notes, and then I only have
to worry about the duration of the notes, by pressing the same keyboard
key repeatedly, but hopefully, listening to the previously entered
notes, for feedback. I think this would allow for a really easy way to
create more musical MIDI performances (the alternative of tweaking
durations via the sequencer is what I do now, but it takes a lot of
time...).

--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/