[LAU] Library for simple audio programming

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jan 15 08:21:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:09:56PM -0800, Ivan K wrote:

> I want to write a simple application that can open a .wav file
> (stereo or mono), grab the header, and then read and dump
> the sample values from a portion of the .wav file to an ascii data
> file (I want to plot minute portions of the sound file with
> application such as gnuplot).
>
> I am most comfortable working in C, though I would
> consider working in C++.

All you need is libsndfile and the standard C or C++ libraries.

Note that gnuplot will just plot the sample values, not the
analog waveform represented by them. If the signal contains
significant energy at high frequencies (say FS / 10) just
plotting the samples will provide a poor idea of the waveform.
One solution in that case is to upsample first.

Ciao,

--
FA