[LAU] I need to catalogue wave file regions.

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 04:09:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:24:22 +0100 (CET), SxDx wrote:

> That's something for SUPERHACKER!
>
> Unfortunately for you, Superhacker is also super lazy.
> I met Superhacker once. Superhacker touched me, and
> like another person in the past, some of Superhacker's
> magic powers go down into people Superhacker touches.
> There was a lot of noise, and maybe some saturation
> in the chain at the time, so now every program I write
> has many many bugs in it.

Y O U  M E T  S U P E R H A C K E R !!11qz

I'm sorry but I am not worthy to make your acquaintance.

> Anyway, I tried something that may help you.

I'm having a pretty good week, to be honest. Looks possible I'll
be credited for testing some code to enable SteelSeries SRW-S1
racing wheels in future Linux kernels - and now I find you've
kindly written something for me. And it works.

> Go to: http://sed.free.fr/audiotag
> There is a screenshot too.
>
> It's not finished, but tell me:
> 1 - does it work (compile, run)?

Yes. No complaints, but I already have libsndfile and co, so all
dependencies were met. Plot produced an output channel in qjackctl
and it plays.

> 2 - do you like it?

Instantly. I can use it so naturally, by mouse, that I want for
nothing more, except -

> 3 - what is missing? (I have ideas for the
>     "regions" thing and how to manipulate them
>     after you tagged all your audio file in a
>     first pass; we'll see together if you like the
>     beast) (this is text manipulation, better
>     to leave it to a text editor with the ability
>     to show a region in the program via X selection;
>     that's my idea) (and write other programs for
>     replay time)

The other channel output (of course). Lower view area to track play,
although the way I can just move up to the upper section and quickly
get the play head in view again - is fine really. I'm quite surprised
there's so much detail from the chunk file. It's just enough for the
entire file view, but a little more would be good in the lower section.
Or maybe closer inspection of an area could be a secondary feature.
Perhaps only when 'superzoom' is engaged a more detailed visualisation
is derived from the area around the current play head position.

Reduce did one of my 1.3GB files in about 3 seconds with a resulting
size of about 1.3MB.

> See README included for instructions.

They are very clear. Thank you.

I don't see any high CPU while playing. Far from it in fact,
compared to similar display in Wine, although I think that
may have been more to do with how Wine does sound...

23% kwin and 14% Xorg if I drag plot's window around my
desktop frantically while playing (as a reference point).
6% and 4% respectively playing normally. Xorg drops to 5%
when plot is stopped. (i5 CPU). All by 'top' so not accurate.

> The thing uses Jack for audio output. You must set
> Jack's samplerate to the audio file's samplerate, no
> conversion is done (but I could use libresample if
> necessary).

All my files are 48k so Jack is set for that.

> Audio file is accessed via libsndfile.

Famous names really. So many fine libs...

> GUI is simple X window.

Everything is there. Status bar area info is good and resize-ability
isn't essential, although, if possible a scale option for the whole
main window is a must for a generally available fixed size program
window. It's all too small for squintless operation (for me) as is.
My 'monitor' is a 32" Tv at 1920x1080 at 96dpi (forced).

> And it's not finished, so expect issues.
> (One big fear I have is how the thing works
> on a 32b computer... I have a 64b here) (and
> also X issues, I probably do one or two things
> completely wrongly)

Of course. 64b here too. Maybe a fellow with 32b could test?

> Regards,
> Cédric.

Thanks a million for this Cédric, and I hope you can find the
time to carry on with it a bit. I think it could develop into
something which very many people could find useful.

With both output channels working I'm sure it'll be my default
wav player...

Sincerely,
John.