[LAU] debugging conflicts Pulseaudio/Jack

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 18 00:00:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, January 18, 2013 10:47 am, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've chosen the option 3 (route PulseAudio to JACK while JACK is
> running) of this guide:
> http://jackaudio.org/pulseaudio_and_jack
>
> BTW, http://trac.jackaudio.org/ is down since yesterday.
>
> It used to work fine in the past but I'm having an issue just after
> using Stretchplayer (and therefore jack).
> I'm on Debian testing (Gnome 3.4.2). I can't see anymore the audio
> applet. In Settings»Audio I see that there's no output device.
> The applications that are trying to use Pulseaudio are listed but of
> course no sound is produced.
>
> jackd is not running.
> pulseaudio-module-jack is installed and my ~/.pulse/default.pa contains
> the following lines:
>
> load-module module-native-protocol-unix
> load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
> load-module module-jack-source channels=2
> load-module module-null-sink
> load-module module-stream-restore
> load-module module-rescue-streams
> load-module module-always-sink
> load-module module-suspend-on-idle
> set-default-sink jack_out
> set-default-source jack_in
>

> How can I debug this problem?
> Thanks in advance

There is a bug in Pulseaudio that is stopping pa from releasing the audio
device.

The temporary solution until it is fixed and released is to disable
autospawn and restart pa.

edit ~/.pulse/client.conf

add

    autospawn = no

restart pulse with

    pulseaudio -k
    pulseaudio -D

or maybe with

    pasuspender -- jackd

If that fails you may need to completely kill pulse or just restart the
machine to get it to release the audio device. Once you have disabled
autospawn it should only need to be done once and only if you have already
been using pulse to listen to a some audio.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd