[LAU] debugging conflicts Pulseaudio/Jack

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Jan 18 14:21:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, January 17, 2013 10:26 pm, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 01/18/2013 07:23 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:

The bug mentioned below is not consistent with the configuration shown
above though. The above configuration would normally be used with jackd
and not jackdbus.

>>> There is a bug in Pulseaudio that is stopping pa from releasing the
>>> audio
>>> device.

>>>      autospawn = no
>>>

>>> restart pulse with
>>>
>>>      pulseaudio -k
>>>      pulseaudio -D
>>>
>>> or maybe with
>>>
>>>      pasuspender -- jackd

Or add:
  pasuspender sleep 1 &
to qjackctl as the "Execute script on Startup"
You would probably have to log out and in to make sure both jackdbus and
pulseaudio are restarted... though it can be done manually too.

>> We have noticed a problem with audio reservation in Fedora. Ian has has
>> some success with this patch (as have I) but I'm at a loss to understand
>> why, it just seems to work...

I am told the bug is that pulse releases the device with one hand and then
noticed the device is free with the other and so picks it up again. There
is a fix in, but I don't know how long it will take before it shows up in
release.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net