[LAU] Panning based on Haas effect

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jan 18 22:28:43 UTC 2013

I experienced all Linux delays as hard to set up and I'm not sure if it
was the tab echo I used. Oh, and I'm not sure if you really want a Haas
effect, when you ask for panning.

"How to create the Haas effect

  It only makes sense to create the Haas effect on a mono track. On a
stereo track, you should apply a cross or normal stereo echo instead.

  To create the Haas effect on a mono track, follow these steps.

  1. Switch on the "Cross Mode" and "Haas Effect" controls of the plugin.
The "Haas Effect" switch will mute the second (right) input channel,
because when applied to a mono track, the plugin receives the same mono
data on both inputs and this would kill the Haas effect (this topic was
discussed in the section about signal routing).
  2. Set the "R/Haas Delay" time to 15-40 milliseconds. The bigger this
setting, the wider the mono track will "stretch out". But if you increase
the Haas delay above a certain threshold, the listener will begin to hear
two separate sounds shifted in time instead of the Haas effect (which is
actually the case at lower delays as well, but the feeling is something
completely different).
  3. Set the "R/Haas Feedback" near 100% (above 80% will do).
  4. "Left Feedback" shouldn't be very large (stay below 50%) or the
ping-pong delay which makes up the Haas effect will not decay in a short
time, and this will create a very unpleasant sound.
  5. Set the "L Delay" time as you see fit.
  6. The sound of a mono track "streched out" in space with the Haas effect
tends to have some directionality (the listener feels the sound source is
a bit nearer to the right side than the left, or vice versa). If the sound
of the track would fit into your overall mix better with the left and
right sides swapped, you can do this by switching "Swap Outputs" on.
  7. Mute the direct sound (set "Dry Level" to -70 dB). It is not needed in
this scenario." - http://tap-plugins.sourceforge.net/ladspa/echo.html

--
No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Einer guten Tat folgt die Strafe auf dem Fuße!