[LAU] Fluidsynth map channels to audio outputs?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:05:33 UTC 2013

On Friday 18 January 2013 21:52:40 Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> So, in Fluidsynth setting synth.output-channels to a number greater than
> 2 will create pairs of L + R channels.
>
> Now, is there a way to map MIDI channels to audio output channels.
> E.g. MIDI 1 -> audio 1 & 2
>
> The obvious advantage is the possibility for example to record into
> ardour on separate tracks without having to manually play over and over
> muting midi tracks etc.
>
>  From what I understand from the manual the router is only applied to MIDI.
>
> Qsynth actually does seem to have exactly this option in Setup > Audio
> there is a checkbox "Multiple JACK Outputs" and the tip says "Create
> Multiple JACK output ports for channels, groups and effects". But
> selecting it has no effect, and actually overrides and ignores the Audio
> Channel setting.

synth.audio-groups

Integer. [min=1, max=256]. By default, the synthesizer outputs a single stereo
signal. Using this option, the synthesizer can output multichannel audio. This
value should be the same as "synth.audio-channels" unless LADSPA is enabled,
then it will be the number of inputs to the LADSPA subsystem.

If you set this number to 16, each MIDI channel will be mapped to a separate
stereo output. If the number is less than 16 then audio_output# = MIDI_channel
module audio_groups.

Regards,
Pedro