[LAU] netjack2: Is there some documentation somewhere?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jan 19 23:51:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, January 19, 2013 12:45 pm, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
> Am 19.01.2013 21:18, schrieb Len Ovens:
>> Google... gets me the idea of doing:
>>    pc master:
>>    jackd -d alsa
>>    jack_load netmanager
>>    slave:
>>    jackd -d net -C 2 -P 2
>> Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000' Is what I get.... ifconfig shows:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:95:5e:1a:4c
>>           inet addr:172.17.128.45
> 225.X.X.X is a multicast-IP and does not realate to the
> unicast-IP-address of the interface at all. That solution should work.
If it doesn't, a wireshark/pcap-trace might be useful to get
information.

Ah, Thank you for clearing that up.

How picky is netjack2 about jackd version? I am realizing that master is
testing UbutuStudio 13.04 jackd 1.9.9.4 and the client is running
UbuntuStudio LTS (12.04) Jackd 1.9.8. Rebooting the master to 12.04...
Ah,,, Hmm, I seem to be using jackd from kxstudio... 1.9.9.5, I guess that
is what I will move the client to as well....

Ok, Both computers are at 1.9.9.5 now and I have a connection. Not only
are netjack and netjack2 different, but there are some incompatibilities
from 1.9.8 to 1.9.9 as well.

Interesting, I got the idea that the number of lines defaulted to 2 i/o,
but instead it seems to default to whatever the sound card is (12i/10o in
this case) They do not auto connect (probably the correct way things
should be) which means if I wanted to use the master as a headless audio
card, I would have to set up a session to do that. Seems to handle 20
lines at a time on a 100m network. (Audacious connects to all 20 outputs I
set up)

Qjackctl is ok (even using the dbus option) for starting up the master
side, but it is not so useful for setting up the client side. It will the
the net backend in place but does not have a place for port numbers for
audio and midi.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net