[LAU] controlling time stretch in VLC

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:38:56 UTC 2013

On 21/01/13 21:50, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Do you know if it's possible to have a better control of time stretching
> in VLC?
> I know that I can use - and + to change the speed, but I cannot control
> the _amount_ of speed.
> Do you know if it's possible?

The nearest I can think of is adding the GUI speed control to the
interface (Tools > Customize interface...) but still you have a slider
and no exact speed input.

> Actually, I'm a happy user of Stretchplayer, which allows to set the
> speed at a specific percentage.
> But Stretchplayer runs only on Linux and I want to recommend a similar
> software to some friends who use Windows. VLC is the first option, since
> it's Free.

SoX also runs on Windows, in this case you'd have to look at the tempo
effect. Although in this case you don't have real rime control
(nonetheless you can test easily with the play command (still part of SoX).

Else you'd have to resort to creating something in say, Pure Data, or
maybe using something which already exists, like the timestretch~
library in Pd-extended...

Lorenzo.