[LAU] Easily map OSC to MIDI

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 00:51:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Jeremia Bär <jeb at jebdev.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I spent the last days looking for a program that allows for an easy
> mapping of OSC messages to MIDI. Surprisingly, I couldn't find anything
> useful. I found some various python scripts that would either not work or
> request the OSC message to have a specific format, which is not suitable
> for me. Basically, I'm looking for a simple way to hook up TouchOSC from my
> Android tablet to control my HW synth with NRPNs. Is there nothing around?
>
> I was also thinking of maybe coding something up myself. Liblo and RtMidi
> look like a good point to start. Any thoughts on that?
>
> Thanks for your hints,
> Jeremia

I know Puredata can do what you are asking. The OSC side is dead simple,
but the NRPN generation will require some work on your part as there is not
a native object for sending NRPN. However, it looks like this patch (
https://github.com/vp1/dsi_tetra_pd/blob/master/Tetr4/send_nrpn.pd) might
be able to give some hints as to the NRPN side of the equation.