[LAU] Sample rate vs. SNR

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 23 23:13:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> I have been reading what I can on audio interfaces... I am thinking there
> are very few good ones. I am thinking that some parts of the system are
> vastly over priced like ADAT and MADI interfaces, both of which seem to
> cost about 10X (at least) what they should cost... like how come a Gb NIC
> is well under $100 and MADI PCI(e) card (100Mb) is $800?

Gb NIC sales: in the millions
MADI PCI(e) card sales: low thousands if you are lucky, hundreds if not

> For audio quality, it seems FW, USB and ethernet _could_ give better
results if designed right.

none of them live "on the bus" the way a PCI card can. all of them are
subject to a separate clock, in addition to the audio sample clock and the
PCI bus clock (which is so high a frequency as to be mostly irrelevant).