[LAU] I really need help with jack

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sun Jan 27 00:04:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:36:32 +0100, Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca>
> wrote:
>
> No need to use jackd with audacity, unless you are thinking of feeding it

Well, that would make life easier ... if I could get things to work
without it :)

> audio from other software - in which case I would recommend using a DAW, not
> an audio editor like Audiacty. Something like Qtractor or Ardour may suit
> you better.
> Also, why not use a jack control application, such as qjackctl?

Yeah, I tried qjackctl and get the same problems ....

All I really want to to do is to record a single, mono track using a
usb adaptor connected to a mixer. AND play back a stereo track to the
same device. Here's the rub ...

1. If I play and record using audacity though the behringer uca202 I
get awful chattering on the record. Just recording is fine, playback
buggers things.

2. So, I have audacity play out on the existing audio speakers and
record via the usb. That works, but I don't have software monitoring
of my record. I'm playing a sax ... putting on headphones and
listening to the background and not really hearing what I'm playing
results if truly out of tune sax playing ... I was starting to think I
was just very bad :)

3. Enabling software monitor in audacity results in too much load, and
the recording goes to shit again.

So, I thought that I'd try jackd ... now have more problems :)
--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca