[LAU] Audio Interface for live Processing

Saul Rayson saul at atonic.com
Sun Jan 27 16:05:12 UTC 2013

Thanks Len some great information here.

>Jack won't start lower?

Yes, Jack just won't start on lower buffer sizes with internal sound. Not
really a problem. just for testing.

>For live work, Guitar effects, soft synths, etc. USB 1.1 at 16bit/48k may
>work just fine

My experience with USB audio is limited, but USB 1 on mac, for live
processing, I have found to have unusable latency.

I will probably update this computer at some point and convert all my
personal recordings to a Linux based system. My main reason for the
thinkpad was for gigs and live processing, so I am thinking a USB 2 audio
interface is what I'll go for.

I was not aware that Firewire interfaces would be software specific, I
assumed that if it connected with jack then any jack compliant software
would work?

Thanks again,

Saul