[LAU] Audio Interface for live Processing

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jan 27 22:32:23 UTC 2013

On Sun, January 27, 2013 12:20 pm, James Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Saul Rayson <saul at atonic.com> wrote:

>>>For live work, Guitar effects, soft synths, etc. USB 1.1 at 16bit/48k
>>> may
>>>work just fine
>>
>> My experience with USB audio is limited, but USB 1 on mac, for live
>> processing, I have found to have unusable latency.
>>

> Latency in 1.1 vs usb 2 shouldn't be significantly different as I
> understand it. usb 2 just allows higher bandwidth - so more channels
> or 24bit vs 16bit. Just depends on whether the interface is properly
> supported in linux.

I have used a USB 1.1 IF on my netbook running at 800Mhz (half speed) and
was still able to run the IF at -p 64 -n 2 (2.67 ms Latency) without
xruns. I did have to back the latency off if I ran too many softsynths or
too many effects, but even double that is not bad. -p 64 with USB 2
devices seems to be the lowest too. I run into memory problems before CPU
use problems in general with only 1G memory :)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net