[LAU] Blacklisting a pulse audio device

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 28 03:46:22 UTC 2013

On Sun, January 27, 2013 7:15 pm, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-01-27 at 19:04 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:

>> > run pavucontrol. hit the last tab (Configuration) and use the USB
>> device
>> > profile to set it to Off.
>>
>> Oh, that's way too easy! Isn't there a way involving dead chickens and
>> incantations?
>>
>> Just tired it and worked just perfectly. Hopefully this <off> will
>> stick between reboots. Not in the mood to try that just yet.
>>
>> But, I did start jack after turning off the usb device. Then audacity.
>> It came up with the option to run via alsa (the old default) which
>> plays via the pulse speakers and jack which runs the usb interface.
>> Just perfect! Thanks.

> I can't stand Pulse.  Period.  End of sentence.  I've got an ST Audio
> DSP2000 C-Port.  I found a nifty (old school verbiage) solution online -
> chmod 644 /usr/bin/pulseaudio.  Problem solved.  If you want Pulse, have
> fun.  Why you want it is SEP (somebody else's problem).

If the machine is purpose built for tracking and studio recording, has no
network connection, etc. why disable pulse instead of not installing it or
removing it? sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio works too. Pulse, for what it
is designed to do, works pretty good... for professional audio, jackd is
much better. Pick your tools for the job. The stuff in the middle like
audacity, which is painful with jack, the two can be bridged.... but not
without issues.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net