[LAU] I really need help with jack

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 28 09:57:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-27 at 21:52 -1000, david wrote:
> I just prefer to use the highest quality sample rate it supports.
> Removes one resampling step from the audio processing chain. But,
> really
> - how much music is distributed on CD these days, vs electronic
> download?

We had several threads about the sample rate, the resume is, that
usually for recording purpose 48 KHz is the best way to go, since most
devices perform at best at 48 KHz. There where arguments to use higher
rates for public address systems, no valid argument to use 44.1 KHz,
assumed your card shouldn't perform better at 44.1 KHz, something very
unlikely. If the audio device is ok at 48 KHz, higher rates won't make
the audio quality better, but lower rates will make it sound less good.

In all the decades working as audio engineer and privately having a home
studio I never have seen something other used than 48 KHz in
professional audio studios, just at home I've equipment that does sound
better at 96 KHz, but this gear anyway does sound less good as other
gear I use at 48 KHz.

Regards,
Ralf