[LAU] Linux radio / streaming tips?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 28 14:02:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, January 28, 2013 3:29 am, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Yesterday I had a small local radio station get in touch with me as
> they're
> looking to switch from Windows to Linux for their streaming server. I'll
> be
> helping them out just as a favour and because it sounds like it could be
> fun but I don't really have any experience with the various Linux
> streaming
> solutions so I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any tips?
>
> I've not been down to check out their existing setup but I don't think
> they
> want much more than to be able to stream recordings and Skype. I think
> Skype lacks JACK support so maybe that will require a bit of messing to
> get
> it to play nicely (if we use a JACK based streaming solution).

IDJC is nice too. It does use jack, but their website has some ideas on
getting an alsa source in there too. (I am actually looking at setting
this up, but have been too busy on other things) There is also mixxx, but
it seems to be more picky about video drivers and (in my case) is too big
for my screen, so I haven't played with it enough to comment.

In any case, I would suggest getting the skype part of things figered out
on your own machine, before playing with theirs.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net