[LAU] Blacklisting a pulse audio device

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 09:54:09 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 03:36 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sun, January 27, 2013 11:43 pm, david wrote:
>> On 01/27/2013 05:46 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>>
>>> The stuff in the middle like
>>> audacity, which is painful with jack, the two can be bridged.... but not
>>> without issues.
>>
>> Hmmm, Audacity works fine here with JACK on 3 different machines and 2
>> different distros. But I'm probably not going anything fancy with it.
>
> Audacity opens a different named jack port every time the user hits play
> or record. This is ok if the ports it auto connects to are connected to
> the speakers or mic you want to use.... not if the user wants to use a
> jack session to connect to something else. When using jack, Audacity
> should connect to jack once at startup and stay connected till the program
> quits.

I think Audacity also opens and quickly closes a jack port when it
starts up. I think that's how they're verifying that JACK is running.

I agree it should connect once on startup and not disconnect. But I have
only my UCA202 running with JACK, and it has only 2 ins and 2 outs, so
there's not a lot of connection options. With something like my church's
12-channel Firewire interface, Audacity would be a royal pain. When I
figure out how to get it working with the Firewire built into my laptop,
I'll use Ardour instead of Audacity.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com