[LAU] Archive ADAT tapes

linux-audio at to11.net linux-audio at to11.net
Tue Jan 29 22:00:29 UTC 2013

I have some old ADAT tapes and I would like to archive the tracks on them to
my computer. I plan to have an ADAT recorder connected via an ADAT/Lightpipe
cable to an internal PCI/PCIe card or to a break out box that is connected to
the computer via firewire. If I play the tapes and record the tracks to disk
with Ardour, will they be transferred losslessly or is there a digital <->
analog conversion happening somewhere in the chain? If there is a conversion
happening, is it anything to be concerned about or would it be high quality
enough to not be noticeable?

Thanks for any feedback.