[LAU] command line midi player for >1 files? (Ecasound for midi?)

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Wed Jan 30 22:37:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Nils Gey <ich at nilsgey.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:19:56 -1000
> Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 03:47:17PM +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > tl;dr: is there a command line tool where I can give several midi files, and a jack input port for each, and it plays them back in sync?
>>
>> Do the separate audio streams created by this process
>> ever get mixed together?
>>
>> If so, is there a reason for the mixing to happen under
>> JACK, rather than within midi, where command line sequencer
>> such as midish can do the job?
>> Joel
>

> Yes, there is a reason. Midi only knows 16 channels and also one port.
> If you have 4 midi files, each with 16 channels and each to another port (one for linuxsampler, one for fluidsynth, one for zynaddsubfy and one for aelous) you can't mix the midi anymore.
>
> If there was a super-midi (jackmidi .jmid :) ?) format with unlimited channels and several ports per file and a player for that format you could think about mixing it before hand.
> But if such a format would exist I would export directly to it instead of standard midi anyway.

There is a MIDI port sequence defined for SMFs. <FF 21 01 pp> which is
supposed to come at the start of a track. It specifies which port on
the computer the track is to be sent to. I've never tired using this
and don't even know if the alsa sequencer code supports it. Might be
worth looking at ... much easier than trying to sync 4 instances of a
player!

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca