[LAU] linux-rt & presonus 1818VSL

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jul 2 18:27:32 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 07:49 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Fero Kiraly <fero.kiraly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have some troubles - read xruns - with this setup:
> There's a lot more to removing Xruns from a system than just the kernel and
> JACK settings (although they are very important :)

 * linux 3.2.35-2 PREEMPT RT
   (debian's RT kernel recompiled with VSL1818 clock selector fix added)
 * jackd 1.9.10 (git)
 * Rui's rtirq script
 * jackd with -p64 -n2 (actually jackdbus)
 * presonus 1818VSL

-> very reliable no x-runs

> Known things that need to be done:
> -Interrupt requests of your hardware must be prioritized (rtirq script
> helps here)
> -Interrupt thread handlers (on RT kernel) must be prioritized
> -Thread priorities must be checked for JACK itself

+1, +1, +1

> Some other things to look into are:
> -CPU scaling (causes Xruns here, although others say it works fine)

no problem here w/freq scaling. I have disabled C1E halt states and EIST
in the Bios, though.

> -WiFi (must be disabled here: "iwconfig wlan0 txpower off", not just
> disconnected)

Nor does wifi + networkmanager cause issues here.

but in either case the 1818VSL here is on a dedicated hardware IRQ - not
shared with any other devices.

> -Graphics chip drivers (I'm using a standard xf86-video driver for my ATI
> HD2400XT)

Intel graphics here.

2c,
robin