[LAU] linux-rt & presonus 1818VSL

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Jul 3 07:43:20 UTC 2013

On 07/03/2013 12:19 AM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Also, when pasting output from commands use a "pastebin" like
> http://pastebin.com/ and provide a link, it makes for easier reading.
> I'd like to take this back: its better to have the information neatly
> available on the mailing list.
>
>> If I find some time, I'll write a quick post on tuning an Arch system for
> maximum low-lat RT performance.
> Link to article, (note it is geared towards Arch linux, but the same
> concepts apply across distro flavours)
> http://openavproductions.com/real-time-latency-tuning/
>
> Thanks for providing the incentive to write this article, -Harry

Nice article Harry! Some remarks though:
* Is /dev/rtc the kernel timer? I thought it was the device node for
access to the real-time clock. I don't even think it's necessary to
prioritize it anymore because most applications use the kernel timer:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#hardware_timers
I'm far from an expert on timers so I could be wrong, I still find this
a bit of esoteric stuff.
* Using setpci in this context is deprecated unless you're still using
am machine with a PCI bus which I highly doubt:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#pci_bus_latency

Regards,

Jeremy