[LAU] linux-rt & presonus 1818VSL

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Jul 3 10:05:18 UTC 2013

On 07/03/2013 11:49 AM, Fero Kiraly wrote:
> Hi Jeremy
>
> I gt get realtimeconfigQuickscan from AUR
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/realtimeconfigquickscan/
>
> I just updated to new version and what I have 'not good' is:
> Checking kernel support for tickless timer... not found - not good
> Try enabling tickless timer support (CONFIG_NO_HZ)

If you have CONFIG_HZ=1000 then it should be ok assuming this is about a
desktop/notebook. Afaik CONFIG_NO_HZ is a power-consumption related
setting, setting this option makes the kernel timer only wake up when
requested while setting it at 1000Hz activates it all the time. Not sure
if I worded that right, I'm not a kernel expert. With respect to
performance implications I can't say anything sensible. I'm using
kernels with CONFIG_HZ=1000 and CONFIG_NO_HZ=y side by side and haven't
noticed any real differences so far.

> kernel I have compiled by myself, but I did no config changes.
> should I ?

Afaik that's not necessary.

Jeremy