[LAU] eyes verses ears

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 02:14:48 UTC 2013

> A mix is purely an auditory medium, right? So, (and I'll play dumb
> here) why do we need to visualize a mix?

Eyes are better at some things than ears.

A regular example from some audiophile equipment forums...  I won't
name names, but on one particular forum 'Just listen!' is used as a
panacea to dismiss any kind of scientific or objective discussion of
equipment.

The obvious response is, "Are you suggesting [Company name] take the
oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, multimeters and computers away from
their design engineers?"

Visualization can be quite useful, even in audio.

Cheers,
Monty