[LAU] My second album is done!

Gabbe Nord gabbe.nord at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 09:38:06 UTC 2013

Julien: :D

Very well worth all the trouble. I'm speechless, thank you for the great
feedback! I will try and respond to it:

* I actually have sidechain compression on more or less all tracks of the
album, in various forms. I wouldn't call it overcompression per say, as
it's just acting as a tremolo, but I do compress a fair bit too. For the
pumping effect, I generally compress a little of almost everything (even
cymbals and crashes), which I think helps a little with the rhythm in the
song.
As for generally compressing as in "master compressing" (or what to call
it), the electronical songs especially I compress a lot, as that's how I
like them personally (thick and in your face kind of). I do however realize
that that's not what everyone likes. I have however "grown out of" a lot of
overcompression, at least if I can say so myself, as I no longer push my
mixes further just for the loudness. Who knows, maybe I'll dare mixing even
more dynamical next time around! ;)

* Ha! I was hoping you'd recognize brushing your teeth in the middle of my
album! ;) Thank you for the great samples, I put a link to them together
with a thank you on my website
(http://www.zthmusic.se/Ordinary_Day_Montageif you haven't seen)

* Full Moon: I tend to agree with you. It ended up being less
interesting/more "chilled out"-than I intended. Next time it'll be more
interesting, I promise! ;) And hahaha, skål! Lättöl är gött!

* Right on the money there with the german in the lecture hall. I liked the
ambient sample so much due to the clarity and stereo qualities of it, that
I just had to incorporate it to the name somehow.

* Interesting that Kojan actually exists! To make a long story short, koja
means something like "tree house" or "pillow fort" (not entirely accurate,
but still) in Swedish, and it's something I've come to call my "studio"
(read: corner of my apartment where I record music) just because I've put
up so many blankets for the acoustics (dunno if it helps, but it's fun)
that it looks like a koja. So that's why that got named like it did!

* With whitenoise, I'm just a sucker for it. That's one of the elements I
love the most about modern electronic music. I also love ambient sounds
(wind and waves in particular), and as it somehow sounds reminiscent of
wind and waves at the same time, it's something I really like and almost
always end up using.

Again, thank you very much for this Julien! It's always awesome to read
your feedback and thoughts, and I learn a lot from your observations that I
hopefully can improve on 'til next time. Speaking of next time, my current
plan is to make sure that the next kind of thing like this I do is 100%
with vocals on every track, in one form or another. Feels like it's time! ;)

Thanks again!