[LAU] Non Mixer Spatializer Demo

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Mon Jul 8 10:28:20 UTC 2013

On 8/07/13 8:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 14:50 -0700, J. Liles wrote:
>> http://youtu.be/GVm5Jd1WDWw
>
> Can't be played with Firefox 22.0. Google Chrome can play it, but IMO
> the need for Adobe Flash Player should be dropped by videos done by the
> Linux community.

Youtube usually does transcode videos to WebM format for playback on
Firefox, etc. using only free codecs. I can't say why Youtube hasn't
done that yet for this video; it could just be that it takes a while for
the WebM transcodes to happen, and not enough time has elapsed yet.
Perhaps within a few days the WebM version will be available and you'll
be able to watch the video in Firefox.

As far as major video sites go, Youtube is way ahead of the curve in its
support for free codecs -- there's no alternative video sharing that I
know of that offers such (relatively) comprehensive WebM support.

The alternative is for people posting videos to host them themselves,
but that's non-trivial, since you also have to also provide a h.264/AAC
version to have the video work on IE, Safari, and most mobile devices.
It'd be a shame if users of those platforms were unable to see some of
the cool things happening in the free software world.

So... it's not an easy problem to solve, and currently, there's not
really a better solution than Youtube.

Thanks
Leigh