[LAU] maximum input level, or normalization and dc offset correction?

Rusty Perez rustys.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 17:38:44 UTC 2013

Hi list,
I know this is a contravercial subject, but I'd like to hear some viewpoints.

I use a delta 1010lt card. I'm  wondering if I should carefully set my
input levels for each input source, or, if the digital convenience of
normalizing and dc ofset makes up for level defficiencies, without
adding noise.

I know the concern here is signal to noise ratio.
Would my delta add noise if I boosted input levels initially or, in
normalizing, am I just boosting the audio with  the snr which I would
have recordedif I had boosted my input levels in the first place?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Rusty