[LAU] maximum input level, or normalization and dc offset correction?

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Fri Jul 12 18:55:22 UTC 2013

Hello Rusty!
   Here are my two pennies. In reasonable ranges this shouldn't make a
difference. Especially if you work with 32-BIT float samples. No noise will be
added by the normalisatin as such. So no artefacts of the process of
amplification. The Delta is a good soundcard. I haven't had problems with it
yet. Most of the noise, that I get is from my instruments. My DX7 has a rather
low level, but all I can hear, is what I can already hear from the DX7, when
plugging in the headphones. The same went for the clavinet. I had to amplify
that by about 200-300% and the only real audible effect I got was lots of
humming from the power source. It's not well insulated.
   In general, it is good to set your input levels on the delta rather close to
what you need. Only take care, that you don't overdrive the input, because
that can't be cleaned up later. With most of my keyboards between 0 and 3DB
gain - as seen in alsamixer - is quite fine. Normalisation levels move around
110-120%, which I think is OK.
   This is quite beyond the point of normalisation in general. There are
different views on that.
   DC offset is a thing quite apart from normalisation. I always apply
DC-offset cleanup to every track, just in case. I don't know, which part of
the equipment is most likely to course it, but I'm not aware of direct
correction or quality facilities on the soundcard.
   Warm regards
          Julien