[LAU] Fixing a MIDI issues

Marius Janßen mariusjanssen at gmx.de
Sun Jul 14 21:34:08 UTC 2013

Am 14.07.2013 21:37, schrieb Julien Claassen:
> Hello everyone!
>   this is perghaps not straight on topic, but I couldn't find a
> satisfactory answer anywhere else.
>   I'm having trouble with my JV-1080. Only every second note gets
> played. I checked different input devices and different cables, direct
> and indirect connections.
>   It seems to be a problem of the Roland itself. Internal sounds,
> demos and the preview button, work fine. Any idea, what this might be?
> It looks so systematic, as if it might be by design, but I don't know
> any feature, which should allow for that.
>   Sorry to spam the list and thanks for following me so far.
>   Warm regards
>          Julien

Dear Julien, dear list,

Roland has introduced a feature in the JV-1080 called "stacking" so that
up to 8 JVs can share incoming MIDI notes.
Every JV-1080 can be told via the front panel how many modules share the
incoming events
and at which place in the chain it is ( for example the second JV out of
five or the forth JV out of eight).
Maybe You just turned that mode on accidentally

That means with 3 present Roland JV-1080 the coming MIDI events will be
played by following order
JV 01 plays Voice 01 ; JV 02 plays Voice 02 ; JV 03 plays Voice 03
JV 01 plays Voice 04 ; JV 02 plays Voice 05 ; JV 03 plays Voice 06
JV 01 plays Voice 07 ; JV 02 plays Voice 08 ; JV 03 plays Voice 09
and so forth.

You can change this mode back to OFF in Performance Mode, Patch Mode and
GM MIDI Mode.
This might be the same for the three modes, so here it is for the
Performance Mode

First You have to press SYSTEM key
You can now change the value of 3 settings:
1) Control Channel, usually your MIDI Control Channel of your choice
2) Clock Source, MIDI Tempo clock, either intern or via MIDI
3) Stack, Settings are Off, 1 of 2 up to 8 of 8

I did not find a good computer readable JV1080 pdf manual in German or
English online to advise you to the right page.
Unfortunately I don't know if a MIDI command exists to change that Stack
mode.
This would be the easiest way for you to send it from your computer.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Greetings and God bless,

Marius