[LAU] Guitarix 0.28.0 released

Andreas Degert andreas.degert at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 18 21:29:13 UTC 2013

The Guitarix developers proudly present

Guitarix release 0.28.0 "magic chainsaw trick" *)

Yes, we took a chainsaw, cut through the chest of Guitarix,
and... it's still alive. But now it's also 2 pieces. You can
start it (headless) on an embedded ARM system. You can start
it on your laptop and connect the user interface the the headless
instance. You can even tap on your smartphone and control
Guitarix with the web browser (or just use the tuner).

For the uninitiated, Guitarix is a tube amplifier simulation for
jack, with effect modules and an additional stereo effect chain.

Please refer to our project page for more information:
    http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/

Download Site:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/

Forum:
    http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/forum/

Embedded Guitarix Prototype:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/guitarix/index.php?title=Guitarix_Embedded_/_ARM_SoC

Please consider visiting our forum or leaving a message on
guitarix-developer at lists.sourceforge.net if you plan to work with
embedded Guitarix.

List of changes:

 * new french translation contributed by Bajo
 * new MultiBandCompressor contributed by kokoko3k
 * new include BestPlugins IR-Packs I-III by David Fau Casquel
 * new DigitalDelay Effect module
 * the Guitarix LV2 plugins are now in the default build
   (but you can configure the build with --no-lv2)
 * Optimizations for embedded systems / ARM processors with NEON
   * --faust-vectorize-float, --convolver-ffmpeg
 * Guitarix headless mode for embedded systems (no X11 / user Interface)
   * network socket based service for controlling / connecting a user
interface
   * service announcement via Avahi, if available
   * command line options --rpchost, --rpcport, --nogui
   * the service can be started in addition to the "local" user interface
 * Guitarix can now be used as a user interface connecting to a remote
instance
   * no configuration needed if Avahi is available
   * command line options --onlygui, --rpchost, --rpcport
   * multiple user interface clients can be started
     (the displays keep synchronized)
  * Browser-based user interface (javascript code)
    * cross platform
    * usable on small devices like smartphones, and in conjunction
      with an embedded device
    * some features still missing (no MIDI controller connections,
      no presets for single effect units, no polished appearance)
    * small additional server needed (included), to translate between the
socket
      based interface and WebSockets, which is what (modern) browsers
understand
    * only recent browsers supported, testers needed
    * released in a separate tarfile

*) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPTHdwqG9rw