[LAU] Looking for advice on a field recording device

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Jul 27 07:37:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:37:53 +0900
michael noble <looplog at gmail.com> wrote:

> If mic self-noise is truly a concern for you, then look beyond Zoom.
> This page provides a good comparison:
>
> http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
>
> I have the Sony PCM-M10 and a Tascam DR-680 for different purposes,
> and both are solid units for there price. Keep in mind that most
> portable recorders will not give pleasing results for "far away
> sources" unless you mean general ambient recording. For distant
> sources you would need a specialized microphone. For most
> versatility, I personally would recommend choosing a recorder with
> XLR inputs such that you can buy additional mics in the future. The
> Olympus LS-100 seems to be a favorite among recordists on a budget
> for this reason.
>
> If you want the advice of people far more experienced with these
> recorders and techniques than myself, I'd also suggest signing up the
> for the nature recordists mailing list. It's a very useful resource
> in general.

Thanks everyone,
I spent quite some time sifting through reviews on the thomann
homepage, but I simply can't trust those, your advice is much
appreciated.

Julien, I especially enjoyed the 'Toilet visit' :)
I think the noise in the recordings there is mostly environmental, so
it's not as bad as I thought. In the rather quiet toilet visit recording
I think I hear some amount of self-noise. However, the vorbis
compression might have something to do with that, I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot Michael, this group/list looks like a treasure trove for
my purposes.

Regards,
Philipp