[LAU] Looking for advice on a field recording device

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Mon Jul 29 18:07:20 UTC 2013

Philipp ??berbacher wrote on Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 03:26:21PM +0200:
> I want to use this device to record interesting sounds wherever I am,
> so it should be relatively small and and fast to start recording. I
> also intend to record lots of quiet or relatively far away sources, I
> want to record bird songs rather than guitars. As far as I've seen
> those devices use SSDs or similar storage media, so I assume they don't
> make any noise on their own, right? I guess the microphone should also
> have a low self-noise.

You can't use the Zoom H4n then.

I really like mine but it has some weaknesses that will matter more to
you, specially:
- long boot time
- deep and plain menu system, takes a while to start anything.  Crappy
  UI hardware doesn't help because it gets in the way of muscle memory
  which usually helps with bad UIs
- the maximum gain with the built in microphones is very low.  You'll
  only get decent levels for things that are normal volume to you
  standing there.  Everything that sound quiet to you will not be able
  to level out.  No way to go after birds with it without using
  external microphones
- automatic gain is overly dumb.  Any loud impulse will set the gain
  lower, permanently.  E.g. you record something and bump into the
  thing.  Now your gain has been permanently lowered and won't go back
  up

Of course I have no idea whether the alternatives are any better but
I'm sure the boot times and menu issue are better in e.g. the
Tascams.  The Tascams have their own problems, reviews on Amazon are
enlightning and they have no top end unit with all their features (top
unit is one refresh cycle behind).

For me the Zoom is very good.  It works and I even use it as a USB
soundcard in Linux and FreeBSD.  Good sound quality, reliable, lots of
options, correct input impedance for passive guitar/bass.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/