[LAU] Gain and clipping wav -> lame

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Mon Jul 29 18:13:29 UTC 2013

To get back to the original discussion - I feel very enlightened now
and have to re-do everything I did in the last years.  Thanks, guys,
or something :-)

I have a question left, and that is that from my observation lame is
unable to predict the "correct" gain level.  Lame gives you a db value
that you can use as adjustment on the input so that you don't clip, or
how many db you are under, respectively.

I find that lowering the gain by what lame suggested in the first run
will still randomly lead to clipping and lame going back suggesting
even lower values.

Is this an inherit problem that lame can't possibly do an exact job?

I just wish lame had an option to just read the whole clip and noodle
around until it gets to a level it's happy with.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/