[LAU] two new tracks

alexander axeldenstore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 21:01:29 UTC 2013

On 31/07/13 22:09, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Alexander!
>   Before I start spreading my opinions through this aether, there's
> only one point: the two songs I have, appear to be the same. Is that
> meant to be? Perhaps different mixes? I haven't compared them that
> minutely yet.
>   It's not, what I would listen to all day or regularly buy at the
> shop, but that only makes it more interesting to the habitual ear. :-)
> the first part reminded me of a crime play from Sweden. OK, it's
> German translation. but the slightly menacing, dark atmosphere. Slow,
> oppressive and somewhat mysterious. Aided by the radio sample/effect.
> The dragging rhythm really helps this impression. I would have liked
> your drumkit even more, if you had dampened the snare, until it was
> dead as a door nail. :-) That's my bad 70s influence, not to be
> confused with my good 70s influence. :-)
>   the second song has a much lighter tone. Still dusky or better
> night-timely. Especially playing it with the rimshot at the beginning,
> opens it up. You have the feeling, that you can breathe more easily.
> My association for this piece would be more towards Raymond Chandler
> than Marie Jungsted. - Ah, stupid me, I just had the revelation, that
> I have both pieces only in one file. :-) And I thought it was a two
> part piece. :-) It' wasn't a glitch in either aether or radio, but in
> my brain. :-)
>   And mix and processing of both tunes is nicely done. Unobtrusive,
> but not colourless. The mix itself sounds warm and open, it is alive,
> able to breathe and convey, that there was a human being playing
> living instruments. Were they all real, acoustic instruments? To my
> ear they sound like it. If so, did you play them all yourself? Again
> if so: double chapot! For two very impressive - or expressive - pieces
> and good playing skills. Certainly those two pieces swept me away in
> their atmosphere much more than the trace of events. I also like the
> mix better, when comparing those two or three. They do set a much
> darker scene than Surfing the Waves of Creation and they moe farther
> away from everyday jazz harmonies. At least I think so. Not, that I'm
> a jazz expert... These two have personality.
>   Thanks a lot for sharing and keep us posted with any other odd
> projects, that you just happen to find and finish. :-)
>   Warm regards
>          Julien

> http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html

Oh sorry Julien, I mixed up the download links, I decided to change the
name of one of the songs ;P dunno why there's a complete file of the
other 'name' tho..
Here they are again, if anyone else don't/can't/won't use flash/java for
bandcamp.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16547648/Glitch%20In%20The%20Aether.flac
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16547648/Ocean%20In%20The%20Radio.flac

And yes as allways every instrumment is "real" and played, except some
of the effects.. I use yoshimi for the distorted sound(second half of
the song) in 'ocean in the radio' and for the "glitchy" sound in
glitch.. the rest of the effects are various cymbal effects, bowls and
stuff.. For instance; tapping a cymbal softly then moving a mic so it
gets within a centimeter of the cymbal produces some interesting
sounds.. The radio is a manual seek AM reviever that I played around
with.. The ringy sound in the beginning and first half of 'Ocean' is a
minute long cymbal effect track that I loaded into lv2-ir convolution
plug and ran the piano through it..