[LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jun 2 09:40:30 UTC 2013

On 06/01/2013 03:28 PM, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:

> On 02. juni 2013 01:32, Len Ovens wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, June 1, 2013 1:52 pm, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:
>>> Please forgive me if these questions is already answered:
>>>
>>> (Ubuntu Studio 12.10 32-bit on Toshiba Sattelite p850 laptop)
>>>
>>> It seems that after the last updates my machine is now running the
>>> generic kernel 3.5.0-33 by default. This seems to have broken JACK,
>>> which was running without problems for a long time. So I have the
>>> following questions:
>>>
>>> - How do I "downgrade" so that the 3.5.0-31-lowlatency kernel becomes my
>>> default setting?
>>
>> Remove any package with generic in it's name. (should be 3):
>> linux-image-3.5.0-33-generic, linux-headers-3.5.0-33-generic and
>> linux-image-extra-3.5.0-33-generic.
>>
>> You may also want to remove (if they are installed):
>> linux-generic, linux-headers-generic, linux-image-generic, linux, linux
>> image, etc. I can't remember which ones the upgrader uses to point to the
>> latest generic kernel. However, if you leave them installed, they may
>> pull
>> in the next new generic kernel again.
>>
>>> - Why does Ubuntu Studio bother with the generic kernel anyway?
>>
>> They don't. The upgrader is not a UbuntuStudio Project and seems to break
>> some things in UbuntuStudio. A fresh install just has the low latency
>> kernel... at least any of the UbuntuStudio versions I have tried ... all
>> of them from 12.04 to 13.10alpha. I, personally, have had other issues
>> with upgrades in Ubuntu Studio as well. Reinstall is best. (but then I
>> have been doing fresh installs since SlackWare 0.9.* or so... maybe I
>> should come out of the dark ages?)
>>

> Thank you! Makes me wonder how the generic kernel entered my system,
> then, but not enough to investigate! I'll just remove the generics...
>
> As for upgrade vs fresh install I never managed one successful upgrade
> (OK, maybe I tried just twice ;-) ) so I prefer the fresh install.
> Though I've broken a bone or two by leaving all the config files on my
> home partition and then installing on the root partition. WOW, can it
> break things...

I've tried upgrading Ubuntu from one version to the next, and pretty
much had no success. So with Ubuntu, I prefer a fresh install.

Debian's been no problem at all with upgrades. Even successfully changed
from stable to sid once simply by changing my repositories.

Upgraded Sid on my desktop machine today, 440+ upgraded packages, and it
works flawlessly.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com