[LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jun 2 15:06:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, June 2, 2013 2:40 am, david wrote:

> I've tried upgrading Ubuntu from one version to the next, and pretty
> much had no success. So with Ubuntu, I prefer a fresh install.
>
> Debian's been no problem at all with upgrades. Even successfully changed
> from stable to sid once simply by changing my repositories.
>
> Upgraded Sid on my desktop machine today, 440+ upgraded packages, and it
> works flawlessly.

Good to know. I am not sure what debian's release schedule is, but the
freeze seems to be a lot longer than Ubuntu does. That would give more
time for testing. Also UbuntuStudio is a) a very small team. b) a very
different install. That is, the mix of applications and their attached
libs is greater than any other ubuntu.

I have found it very frustrating that something simple like a video player
needs to be switched almost every release to find one that works. I would
like to concentrate the creative SW, but find that the basic desktop needs
fixing more often.

I am quite excited though, about the idea of dropping Studio on top of any
Ubuntu flavour. A small installer would allow the user to choose just the
workflow they want and install that and the lowlatency kernel. It would
also install a more organized menu for the creative workflows (I used to
have a "multimedia" menu that I had to scroll all over to find anything)
For those DEs that still think in those terms (and are XDG compliant).

For those interested, the menu package should work well on any distro,
ubuntu or not, so long as it uses the XDG style of doing menus. Unity and
Gnome Shell are the noted ones that don't really think in terms of menus
any more. I think Gnome Shell does have a menu option though. Unity does
not and besides it seems Unity has proven not to amiable to audio use for
many people anyway. When I have it finished and tested, I will post the
download site.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net