[LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jun 2 18:58:12 UTC 2013

On 06/02/2013 05:06 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sun, June 2, 2013 2:40 am, david wrote:
>
>> I've tried upgrading Ubuntu from one version to the next, and pretty
>> much had no success. So with Ubuntu, I prefer a fresh install.
>>
>> Debian's been no problem at all with upgrades. Even successfully changed
>> from stable to sid once simply by changing my repositories.
>>
>> Upgraded Sid on my desktop machine today, 440+ upgraded packages, and it
>> works flawlessly.
>
> Good to know. I am not sure what debian's release schedule is,

Very slow. They just released Debian 7.

> but the
> freeze seems to be a lot longer than Ubuntu does.

The freeze ran pretty long this time. (Which helped make me confident
about doing an upgrade, I figured things had been pretty well tested
before they finally moved into Sid.)

> That would give more
> time for testing. Also UbuntuStudio is a) a very small team. b) a very
> different install. That is, the mix of applications and their attached
> libs is greater than any other ubuntu.
>
> I have found it very frustrating that something simple like a video player
> needs to be switched almost every release to find one that works.

Hmm, haven't encountered that. But Mplayer's my player of choice.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community