[LAU] Giving JACKD a device NAME on the commandline

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Jun 12 10:02:02 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 11:55 AM, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>    I just tried to give JACK a real cardname on the commandline instead
> of the hw:0. Reason, there are several soundcards in that machine,
> including USB devices. I looked at /proc/asound/cards and copied the
> name "M1010LT". And then I ran this command:
> jackd --timeout 4500 -R -d alsa -d M1010LT -r 48000 -p 128 -z shaped

Hi Julien,

Try
jackd -t 4500 -d alsa -d hw:M1010LT -p 128 -z shaped

You omitted the hw: part before the ALSA card name. I've omitted -R and
-r 48000 because those are default values.

>    JACK told me, that M1010LT caused an ALSA open error, since the
> device was unknown. This is JACK1. JACK is run by a user with the
> necessary rights and limits set. With -d hw:3 it works.
>    Whilst I'm here, I might as well ask, what the easiest way would be
> to automatically start JACK, when the system boots? If that helps, the
> system is running a graphical session and I believe, this could be the
> case constantly. So if there's a typical solution involving that, it
> could be a way.

Then it would be best to have JACK started by that particular session.
There are several ways to do this, probably starting JACK from .bashrc
would be the easiest way to set this up.

Regards,

Jeremy