[LAU] Synchronization of audio with MIDI file

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Fri Jun 14 08:32:11 UTC 2013

Hi all,

this weekend I need to do some synchronization work, and I was planning
to use Qtractor (though I've never used it before), but I thought I
might ask here, in case you think there are better tools to accomplish
this.

My setting is very simple: I have a two guitars piece and I have
recorded one of the parts myself. For the second guitar I have entered
the score with Rosegarden. But now I want to fine-tune the mixing of
both and I want to be able to synchronize the MIDI file to my playing.

With Rosegarden and the piano roll, I can easily stretch/move each of
the MIDI notes, but I didn't find an easy way to synchronize with my
audio wave (though I haven't used Rosegarden a lot, so perhaps I missed
something).

Ideally I would like to:

+ load in one program both the audio and the MIDI file
+ see the soundwave forms for both audio and MIDI plus the piano roll
  for the MIDI file
+ if something is not synchronized properly (due to the nature of the
  music, I can see it nicely by inspectint the soundwave), I would like
  to stretch/move the MIDI notes in the piano roll and interactively see
  how the soundwave changes, so that I can immediately see if the MIDI
  and the audio are better synchronized.

Is there a tool where I can do that easily? Perhaps there is some other
procedure/tool that can help me with this?

Thanks for any suggestion,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/