[LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Tue Jun 18 09:48:07 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 11:14 AM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Thanks for sharing that Jeremy!
>
> What are you going to use your 3066 for?

Hi Dan,

I'd like to use it for doing real-time lo-latency audio. Basically the
same way I'm using my Raspberry Pi.

> What are your initial impressions and findings?

Ambivalent. It sure is faster than a Raspberry Pi but RK3066 based
devices have some drawbacks:
* No easy debugging access, I have yet to find the TXD pad on my RK3066.
* Fragmented development efforts. There are a gazillion git repositories
with all kinds of kernel sources, tools, etc.
* There are simply a lot of RK3066 based devices around and since
RockChip refuses to release their kernel source code people hacking on
the RK3066/RK3188 depend on third-party manufacturers that do understand
how GPL works and release parts of the code. Still there are things
missing, I'm now searching for a way to access the NAND from within
Linux but there is no source code anywhere for accessing the NAND on
RK3066 based devices. Yeah, there are pre-compiled kernel modules but
those don't work on my install.
* Closely related to the above bullet, yesterday I decided to flash the
kernel to the kernel partition only to realize later that now I can't
boot into anything else but Linux. And I can't flash anything either
because I can't boot in the bootloader. Apparently I can short two pads
and have the device boot into recovery but that won't help me either
because I've flashed the recovery partition with, you guessed it right,
a Linux kernel.
* JACK doesn't run on my device it with an external USB interface. It
starts and then the kernel crashes.

So I'm thinking about getting another TV stick but then a model that is
easier to debug and that has some more community support.

  It should perform notably
> faster than your Pi.

It does but development effort is far from finished so it doesn't work
as good as my Raspberry Pi. Well, at least WiFi works so I can just
power it up and SSH into it.

Regards,

Jeremy