[LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Jun 19 07:32:10 UTC 2013

On 06/19/2013 12:08 AM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Hi Jeremy!
>
> Thanks for your report! Pretty much what I expected, unfortunately!
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>wrote:
>
>> On 06/18/2013 11:14 AM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for sharing that Jeremy!
>>>
>>> What are you going to use your 3066 for?
>>>

>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I'd like to use it for doing real-time lo-latency audio. Basically the
>> same way I'm using my Raspberry Pi.
>>

>>   What are your initial impressions and findings?
>>>

>> Ambivalent. It sure is faster than a Raspberry Pi but RK3066 based devices
>> have some drawbacks:
>> * No easy debugging access, I have yet to find the TXD pad on my RK3066.
>> * Fragmented development efforts. There are a gazillion git repositories
>> with all kinds of kernel sources, tools, etc.
>> * There are simply a lot of RK3066 based devices around and since RockChip
>> refuses to release their kernel source code people hacking on the
>> RK3066/RK3188 depend on third-party manufacturers that do understand how
>> GPL works and release parts of the code. Still there are things missing,
>> I'm now searching for a way to access the NAND from within Linux but there
>> is no source code anywhere for accessing the NAND on RK3066 based devices.
>> Yeah, there are pre-compiled kernel modules but those don't work on my
>> install.
>>

> That would seem to be the biggest issue with these devices atm but one that
> should legally be resolved asap.
>
> Whether they 'get' FLOSS or not, either way they only stand to gain from
> doing as they legally, morally should.

Practically all source code added by RockChip is available, except for
the NAND kernel module. I'll send the manufacturer a mail regarding the
NAND source code. The problem is that the NAND kernel module is in the
initramfs and I get the idea that manufacturers using RK3066 based
boards all use the same NAND kernel modules, or even initramfs's,
provided by RockChip.

>> * Closely related to the above bullet, yesterday I decided to flash the
>> kernel to the kernel partition only to realize later that now I can't boot
>> into anything else but Linux. And I can't flash anything either because I
>> can't boot in the bootloader. Apparently I can short two pads and have the
>> device boot into recovery but that won't help me either because I've
>> flashed the recovery partition with, you guessed it right, a Linux kernel.
>> * JACK doesn't run on my device it with an external USB interface. It
>> starts and then the kernel crashes.
>>

> That's what I expected, seeing how little success I've had on my Pandaboard
> with J2 git. Have you tried J1 too?

I only use Jack1 so it was the first thing I tried.