[LAU] Building Audio from a Server Core?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Fri Mar 1 08:41:04 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 12:33 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> Ok, this looks like just adding audio SW. Take a look at the ubuntustudio
> metas with whatever SW installer you use. (synaptic would be easiest I
> tihnk)

I'd only take a look at those meta packages, not install them. They pull
in massive amounts of unneeded packages. And on a minimal system I'd use
apt-get or aptitude instead of Synaptic.

  You most likey do not want the -desktop, icons or settings, just
> the audio related ones. Though it may be just as easy to choose the apps
> you want.
>
>> >the audio group, but my usb Audiobox does not seem to be working,
>> >although it is recognised with aplay -l.  Should it work without any
>> >additional steps?
> Working? Meaning what? Does lubuntu use pulse like most of the other
> *buntus?

Yes but not if you use the lubuntu-core meta package as it doesn't
depend on PulseAudio.

  Have you set your USB card as the default sound device with
> pavucontrol? Which application are you playing audio on? If the machine
> you are using has an internal card, that would be the default, not your
> USB card. Are the levels raised in the alsa mixer? Not muted?

A lot of USB audio interfaces can't be controlled with alsamixer as they
only have hardware mixing. Quickly browsed the user manual of the
AudioBox and I see no references to controlling the interface from the OS.

Regards,

Jeremy