[LAU] multimedia content

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Mar 13 09:38:22 UTC 2013

On Sat, March 9, 2013 2:25 am, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Sat, March 9, 2013 12:27 am, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
>> On 03/07/2013 04:18 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>> Hi, I'm looking for original multimedia content produced with FLOSS
>>> software. It can be promotional material, video, documentary, movie,
>>> film, TV footage, etc...
>> http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
>>

> Thanks. I found that one already. If you come across any more similar
> content please let me know.

I have been scouring the web and come across a reasonable selection of
quality content. A couple of things I have noticed which I hope people
round here can make some headway on this year.

There are a lot of tutorial videos out there. That's very helpful that
people have taken the time to make video tutorials but I think we have
covered that space pretty well now. You can literally find a video
tutorial for every piece of major Linux Audio software and sometimes the
same topic is covered several times by different people. My suggestion is
that if you are thinking of making a tutorial for an audio app please take
a quick look on the web first and link to an existing one if possible.

We also have a lot of music videos which are just screencasts of the music
software playing the track while recording. I can see the value of this
for a couple of uses but really it just looks a bit crap and pretty
boring. I know that people are proud that they have mastered the tools but
IMO if you are going to the effort  to create a song it doesn't take much
more to grab some video footage with your phone, stitch together some
photos with blender or even just take some CC videos from
http://wikimedia.org and make a video collage.

Apart from that feedback there is actually not that much in terms of
original FLOSS multimedia content being put online atm. Sure, Blender
folks are pretty active and doing some very amazing stuff mostly in terms
of short films less than 10 mins long and there are lots of demos of
various FLOSS animation tools but comparatively few people are actually
producing large amounts of original multimedia art at the moment. It's a
lot less than those who are producing FLOSS audio on a regular basis.

So my overall feedback is that people round here who are making music and
games, etc... could do well to put in some time on the multimedia creation
front too. After all we are mostly here to create digital art and audio
does go so well with video.

One thing for certain is that there is a huge consuming market waiting for
anyone who cracks the audio/video entertainment production process for the
global Linux community. And that represents a significant amount of cash
too when combined with google ads or other marketing strategies...

1 good video can receive millions of views.

Take a look at the animation tools like synfig, tupi, tvpaint, gimp (with
gap). Get into blender, cinelerra, kino, kdenlive, openshot. Try
generating some visuals with your favorite 3d game engine. Even try coding
up some animations with open/webgl if that's what floats your boat.

Putting together some original video footage for an audio track is really
not that hard. We have all the tools so I don't know what is holding
things up.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd