[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Mar 13 12:50:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, March 13, 2013 11:10 pm, Louigi Verona wrote:
> I personally use kdenlive right now and it suits my simple needs very
> well.
> Actually,
> for the first time on Linux I am quite happy with basic video editing.
>
> As for Ralf's prediction of everyone jumping on Linux, I think this is not
> happening in
> the near future - if ever. The percentage of desktop Linux usage is
> very-very low, even to
> this day. The highest number I ever heard was 10% and it was the only time
> I heard it. The
> rest of the numbers are always within 5%. And while none of these polls
> are
> accurate,
> I do see that Linux Desktop, in spite of its wonderful progress, is
> nowhere
> even near mass
> adoption.

Those numbers are absolutely incorrect.

> In fact, even if we magically get all the software everyone needs right
> now, the adoption would
> be slow.

There are more people using Linux variants in China than the whole
population of the USA...

A lot of long term Linux users keep windows machines around only because
they like to play games. That tide is turning now for desktop gamers with
Steam for Linux.

In addition the whole gaming market is getting right royally reamed by the
mobile gaming market. With Android dominating in that space too.

There are a lot more people using Linux for daily use than the official
statistics are allowing for. Anyone who bought a dual boot machine is only
counted as running that other OS for example. Often when people buy a
barebones system running a variant of Linux they are not even counted.

Anyhow with Android, ChromeOs, Amazon Kindle, FirefoxOS, Samsung getting
behind Tizen again and Huawei making a massive push it is safe to say that
Linux on the desktop has arrived. Just not in the form that all the PC
dinosaurs were hoping for ;-)

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd