[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 20:51:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com
> wrote:

> If you can't get basic video editing done with Blender then you should
> consider trying a new career.

You may need to tell that to most of #blender and quite a few of well known
people in that community that I checked with about this specific workflow
when I did this.

Aside from my own knowledge of Blender, I will say if you said that to most
people going to blender you would get laughed at, only because the
interface is very different frmo anything else out there, and that does
include in the NLE, which in the NLE there is less gain than there is in
the various 3D manipulation views.

> The video timeline and compositor allow a huge amount of flexibility in
> Blender. Just because the learning curve is steep and you don;t have the
> patience or time to get your head around it doesn't mean it is not
> possible for others to achieve seriously high end results.

I would suggest not assuming everyone is an idiot.  The learning curve was
not a problem, I have been using Blender for some time long before I looked
at it for the NLE, and when looking at it for the NLE I specifically sought
help from experts in the community to see if what I wanted to do could be
done easily.  The consensus was that it couldn't.  In fact they just did
their last open movie project specifically to improve that workflow, and as
I said I haven't looked at it since then, but hopefully it has
significantly improved.

Again please isntead of assuming you know everything, you might try asking
if it had been tried before.

That's your opinion. Lots of studios and professionals use them for editing.

You are correct that is my opinion.  And I repeat a former assertion of
mine that could also be qualified as an opinion but fairly true anyways,
you tend to overstate things.

Content generation. It allows to synthesise your entire 3d environment.
> Similar to what you can achieve with ams or ingen. Combined with other
> synthesis applications you don't even need an NLE.

Yes but that isn't what an NLE is most used for.  Use the correct tool for
the job, ESPECIALLY if you are discussing professional workflow.

So which big names in the movie industry do you know that haven;t embraced
> Linux?

feel like repeating myself.

I would say that you and your team are going to be left behind if you keep
> holding onto the past like you are now...
>
> Linux users have already eclipsed Mac users the Steam user stats and Steam
> for Linux was only released 1 month ago.
>
> http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey#cat0

Uh, no they haven't.

Mac OS X 10.8 -- 1.71%
Mac OS X 10.7 -- 0.74%
Mac OS X 10.6 -- 0.62%
-----------------------------------
Total                 -- 3.07%

Ubuntu 12.10        -- 0.71%
Ubuntu 12.04.2/64 -- 0.31%
Ubuntu 12.04.2/32 -- 0.20%
Linux Mint 14        -- 0.17%
Linux (64 Bit)        -- 0.14%
Ubuntu 12.04.1      -- 0.11%
Total                     -- 1.64%

Even if you add all the 'other' category to Linux you end up with 2.46%,
still under OS X's share, and that is assuming that all of 'other' is in
fact Linux.  Again your facts are just plain wrong.  This doesn't even
touch on the fact that only three versions of Windows don't by themselves
eclipse either of these categories by themselves, much less if you
obviously add them all together.  Windows is the platform of choice for
gamers, but then again I have no idea why you feel this is important for
media creation.  There are likely going to be slightly related, but like
many things media creators are a tiny portion of those that game.

It's ok though. When you decide to let go you will find you can fly ;-)

I am well aware of Linux's capabilities having used it professionally for
many years now.

And again I will point out, that a tool that can be used for something that
is professional, is not what I am talking about.  By that logic notepad is
a professional screenwriting tool.  I refer to tools that allow you to
accomplish professional quality work quickly.  Blender falls under that for
3D easily to me, not for video editing.

        Seablade