[LAU] Sending audio out and back into JACK

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 14:44:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Andrew C <countfuzzball at gmail.com> wrote:

> What kind of external audio hardware/JACK trickery would I need to
> send a synth running on my laptop through a seperate output channel on
> an audio interface with multiple ins/outs, send it, let's say, through
> some outboard effects, and then back into the laptop as a seperate
> input?

Hi Andrew!

No trickery at all:
1. Jack patchbay: synth output -> software patched -> "system_out 1"
2. Physical connection: system_out_1 (on soundcard)-> physical lead ->
outboard effect input
3. physical connection: outboard effect output -> physical lead ->
"system_in_1" on soundcard
4. Jack patchbay: "system_in_1"-> software patched -> (recording program or
whatever).

That's all. Just think clearly about the signal path, and you'll be able do
all sorts of cool things like this!
-Harry