[LAU] Sending audio out and back into JACK

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 15 15:06:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 10:48 -0400, Bill Gribble wrote:
> You can very easily connect up equipment like you describe, and get
> processed audio back into your computer.  It just works.  However, the
> audio that you get back into the computer will be delayed with respect
> to the audio you sent out.  How much depends on your JACK buffer
> settings and the properties of your audio interface and external
> equipment; you can measure it with "jdelay".
>
> If you are planning to mix the new sounds with the old, you will need
> to delay the old before mixing it with the new.  Ardour and most other
> DAW software will handle this automatically.

That's a half-truth!

If you want to monitor the mix in real-time not only by latency
compensation for the recording, than you need exorbitant low latency or
it's simply impossible to get good results.

I'm doing loop in for revberb. It does work for reverb, because the
reverb starts with delay, so I only need to reduce the delay for the 19"
gear by the latency of the PC hardware.

There's no guarantee that using a professional sound card, does provide
exorbitant low latency. I got lower latency for my Envy24 cards, as I
can get for my RME card. There are many factors hat can cause issues,
e.g. a bad mobo chip set and you can't know what will work and what not,
without testing.