[LAU] State of native Linux REAPER port

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 08:45:21 UTC 2013

Yesterday I finally tried the native Linux port of REAPER and posted the
following reports to the Cockos forum at
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=83324 so I thought everyone here
would be interested too.

- danboid's 1st post to REAPER WDL dev thread -

It appears to me there was a brief resurgence of activity on the Linux
Swell port in December but little if anything has happened since? I hope
I'm wrong!

I couldn't believe it when I discovered earlier today that there has been
some sort of rudimentary native Linux port of REAPER on LoL since June
2011! I've long known REAPER was supported and ran well under wine but I
have a big issue with depending upon wine - I don't really like using
REAPER that way because I'm all too aware of the negative impact the wine
layer has on (JACK) performance and stability. I only heard about the Linux
native port in late December when my current band PistonFunkMachine used it
to record our debut album.

For yet another unknown reason, it was only today that I was inspired to
find out where the Swell port is up to and if possible give it a go myself.
Although it seems to still be practically unusable right now, I was
thrilled to see REAPER start up successfully and let me use most of the
interface. This was when using the libswell within
libSwell-x86_64-debian-wheezy-gtk3.tar.xz running under 64bit KX Studio
12.04.2.

REAPER loads and you can add tracks and browse through the menus here but I
realised I wasn't going to get much further when I discovered that the
open/save file windows don't appear when you select either option and the
same goes for the plugin window. It doesn't appear here!

I compiled Swell from git but had much less success. REAPER failed to start
at all and just barfed:

./reaper: symbol lookup error:
/home/dan/src/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/libSwell.so: undefined symbol:
gdk_init_check

So, I may not be able to enjoy REAPER under my OS of choice properly just
yet but I'll be trying some of REAPERS VST plugins under qtractor soon.
When I have I'll report back here with the plugin results.

I also spotted a small error in:

http://www.landoleet.org/dev/libSwell-roll-your-own.txt

It says:

apt-get install build-essentials libgtk-3-dev

but the package name is actually build-essential without the 's'. Total
nitpick, I realise - especially at this stage!

I'm hoping Bitwig and Ardour 3.0 will give reason for more LinuxVST plugin
ports in the run up to LinREAPER. I'll certainly be buying REAPER as soon
as the Linux port works!

- Today's update re: plugins -

I have tried a few of the REAPER VST FX under qtractor but unfortunately
all I get is a stream of various 'SWELL API not found' errors.

I copied libswell (the binary from LoL that lets me start REAPER) into
/usr/lib as well as my vst plugins dir but that didn't help.