[LAU] jackd thinks it's got realtime priority, but it doesn't

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 13:08:05 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> you've fallen for a classic mistake when using ps(1) on multithreaded
> applications.
>
>> [paul at watt ~]$ ps -p 20370 -o cmd,class,pri,rtprio
>> CMD                         CLS PRI RTPRIO
>> /usr/bin/jackd --realtime - TS   19      -
>

> jackd runs more than one thread. your use of ps(1) shows only the initial
> thread, which is not RT.
>
> --p

D'oh!  I knew I was doing something wrong.

[paul at watt ~]$ ps -Tp 20597 -o cmd,class,pri,rtprio
CMD                         CLS PRI RTPRIO
/usr/bin/jackd --realtime - TS   19      -
/usr/bin/jackd --realtime - TS   19      -
/usr/bin/jackd --realtime - FF   60     20
/usr/bin/jackd --realtime - TS   19      -

Pretty embarrassing since I work on a realtime multithreaded app every
day.  Sorry for the noise.  I'll go get more coffee.