[LAU] VLC Bug?

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 22:48:38 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> If I play a MP3 with
>
> $ pacman -Q vlc
> vlc 2.0.5-4
>
> by jack and the volume is set to 100%, I hear and see clipping in
> hdspmixer. It goes up to 0 dBFS at around 90%. FWIW the volume can be
> increased up to 200%.
>
> Anybody experiencing the same on (what distro ever)?

Same distribution, same vlc-version, no clipping (checked with jkmeter).

made a test file with a 30 Hz sine, range -1...1, in 16 bit wav format.
generated in pd, recorded with
$ jack_capture --bitdepth 16 --channels 2 --port system:playback_1
--port system:playback_2 30Hz.wav
At 100% volume in vlc, jkmeter shows a peak value of -0.0, just as expected.

Needless to say, but also jaaa/my ears didn't exhibit any indication of
clipping-induced HF content (which clearly shows up at >100%).

During the journey, I found in vlc:
Tools -> Preferences -> Audio -> Replay Gain mode.
That one should probably be set to the default 'none'.

best,